1. Introduction of the Department
The Department of Biomedical Sciences is the first and one of the largest Departments in College of Medicine in Al-Ahsa. This department focuses on the field of the understanding of human body anatomical, embryonic, functional, and chemical processes, as well as the etiology and causes of the disease and infection, medications and the linkage and integration of this knowledge with clinical knowledge and applications.
The aim of the Department is to prepare the undergraduate students in the basic subjects so that they can easily understand the clinical courses taught in later years of their study. Clinical correlations with the basic knowledge are the theme of all the designed courses taught in the Department. Apart from excellence in teaching methodology one of the main goals of the Department is to create a research-oriented environment where faculty and students can share and learn.
This Department also serves as a catalyst for the advancement of biomedical and life sciences by connecting scientists and clinicians within and across disciplines at conferences and workshops.
The Department has fully functional labs of Anatomy, Histology and Pathology, Neurosciences, Physiology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, and Pharmacology that have the latest equipment for teaching and research.
2. Vision and Mission of the Department
The vision and mission of the department is in line with the vision and mission of the college of medicine.
To become a model in community engagement through excellence and international recognition in medical education, research and health care.
We are committed to promote higher standards in medical education, health care, and research and community health services. To advance this mission the college will:
· Utilize innovative and modern methods to keep up higher standards in education.
· Promote student-centered learning.
· Foster life-long & self-directed learning and leadership skills.
· Create conducive environment for meaningful research relevant to local and international needs; and, Keep liaison with local, national and international institutions to promote and exchange knowledge.
· Islamic Values
· Responsiveness to community
· Commitment to life-long learning